Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Piano Project


Back in February I was perusing KSL when I came upon this beauty. Ok, so it isn't exactly a beauty, but I had been toying with the idea of wanting a piano, and this one fit into the budget. It has definitely seen better days, but Brad and I have spent the last month trying to strip the layers of paint that have accumulated on it and we are almost done with the task. It is looking better...... sort of. Now the task at hand it to decide how to finish this wonderful instrument. I originally wanted to just stain the wood after we stripped it, but I don't think this is a viable option after seeing all the different types of wood there are. I am considering the idea of staining the flat top surfaces of the piano, and antiquing the rest, similar to this table refinished by Miss Mustard Seed

I can use all the help I can get. So if you have ever painted a piano, or refinished a big piece of furniture, or know a little something that might help me in this endeavor, I would greatly appreciate a comment. This project, according to our summer project outline, is supposed to be done by the end of May (we'll see if it really happens). Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beauty. I love finding old things and making them new again. I saw a girl refinish a piano at www.allthingsthrifty.blogspot.com. She painted hers but she does a step by step process of how to go about doing it so check it out. Good luck, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just gonna say the same thing Kate:) Here's the link
    http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/08/piano-refinishing-101.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will look amazing when you're finished! I love missmustardseed! Thanks for letting me know about her! Good luck! I'm excited to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the posts Kate and Monica. I have previously seen the All Things Thrifty makeover. I am using a ton of her suggestions.

    ReplyDelete